Devon Intermediate School was opened in February 1958, to meet the needs of the families in the western sector of New Plymouth.
The site chosen for the school has an interesting history dating back to pre-European times when it was part of the traditional path used by the Maori to go to Ngamotu. In 1840 a cottage was built here by a pioneer settler who drew the land in a ballot. Several more houses were built on the land before it became a nursery in 1882. After this business closed in 1914 the land gradually reverted to bush, scrub and swamp.
Today the school is set in attractive park-like surroundings, with extensive playing areas, a large swimming pool, hall, technology facilities and a modern library. All classrooms are the subject of an on-going programme of modernisation and an extensive landscape plan contributes to a pleasant environment of learning. The major focus in our property area is the upgrading of the administration block.
From the very beginning, the school’s first principal, Mr A.L. Herdman, insisted that hard work, coupled with a striving for excellence, should be practised in all aspects of school life. These qualities have been stressed by successive principals and are as important to the philosophy of Devon Intermediate today as they were in 1958.
Devon Intermediate has always been noted for its excellent school tone and school spirit. This comes, in great measure, from the dedication of past teachers who gave so much time and effort to foster work, both inside and outside of the classroom. The present staff continues to uphold these traditions and to encourage the students to live up to the school motto of: Diligence, Integrity and Service